Half a million girls from Girlguiding groups in the UK have pledged to save our planet from plastic pollution under Girlguiding's #PlasticPromise campaign - and so can you.
The move comes after the Girlguiding’s Girls’ Attitudes Survey found that 86 per cent of women aged 11-21 think young people should be more active in conversations about the environment.
The campaign launch comes days after Greta Thunberg, the 16-year-old climate activist gave a tearful and impassioned speech at the United Nations General Assembly. "We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth," she told world leaders. "How dare you?"
Now the movement has spread to the UK with girls and organisations launching their own school boycott. Girlguiding's #PlasticPromise campaign builds on the launch of Future Girl manifesto. Future Girl is based on 76,000 girls and young women sharing the issues that matter most to them. Taking action to protect the planet is one of their top five issues - with plastic pollution named as one of the biggest threats to their future.
Everyone can get involved with #PlasticPromise campaign and choose from a list of environmentally-friendly commitments, including
1) Carrying a reusable water bottle to reduce the 7.7. billion plastic water bottles used every year in the UK.
2) Choosing an alternative to plastic cutlery, which is used for just 10 minutes before it goes to a landfill forever.
3) 'Resist the wrap and promise to use a box instead'. 1.2 billion metres of clingfilm are used every year!
3) Use a reusable coffee cup! We throw away around 5000 coffee cups per minute!
4) Finally, spread the word about cutting plastic waste. Promise to stand up and speak out - together we can make big brands listen.
Members who sign up to the pledge via the Plastic Promise website will earn a digital plastic promise badge.
Simple but meaningful actions, done together, have a big impact in the fight against plastic pollution.
We are joining Girlguiding's #PlanetProtectors by making a #PlasticPromise today♻️🌍
Image from Girlguiding